Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Stink....Round two

We thought the dogs getting sprayed by a skunk was bad....

Last night, about 9:45 or so, we were sitting in our living room watching TV, thinking about going to bed soon, when this horrendous smell wafted into the room...it was skunk. One of our cats, Winny, was up on the couch with us, so we thought, it must be him...we sniffed and sniffed...not Winny, then we sniffed the other two cats...it wasn't the cats. The smell was getting stronger.

I walked into the sunroom, and the stink was even stronger. So, I walked out on the back porch where our dogs have been ostracized. The smell was eye-watering. Oh My God. It was HORRIBLE!!!!

So we started looking around our stinky backyard, and Juan said he thought he found where the skunk was coming under the back fence. The only thing we can figure is that it was coming in the back yard to drink the dog's water.

So by this time, the stink has permeated through the entire house...and we went to bed smelling skunk. UGH!! So my mission today was to call trappers to get prices to get our little stinky friend away from our house.

Well this morning, there were some men needing in our backyard to work on the utility pole that's in the corner of our yard. I was talking to them, telling them about the skunk, when one of the men walks over near a big bush in the back yard and says "I found him!" "Is he alive?" I ask foolishly...
"Naw, the dogs killed him....UGH! God that stinks!" he yells.

He asked me what I was going to do with it, and I told him that I would probably throw him over the back fence (we have an open lot behind us). He had a big 15-ft pole to work on the utilities, and used the pole to pick up the skunk and throw it over the fence. YEA!! I was really happy that I didn't have to deal with it. I thought the man was going to throw up, though, after he pitched the skunk, he was making such a fuss. It was pretty funny.

So, then I realized that the skunk could have been rabid, and needed to be tested. I called our vet, and she told me to take the skunk to the Health Department. I called the HD, and they told me that you had to get the vet to take the head off and submit it, that I couldn't do it. They advised me to call Animal Control. So, after talking to about 7 different people, I finally got a service request number and animal control is supposedly on their way to collect the stinky and test it.

Now, I just have to bathe the dogs, to get the stink off. But, at least we know our stinky friend won't be coming back. I'm a little shocked that the dogs killed the skunk. I didn't really think they had something like that in them. Not sure how I feel about it, though.

No comments: